Saturday, October 4, 2014

Sukumani sewing party




My sewing table
There is a group of Swazi women in neighboring towns that are part of a group called "Sukumani". They are part of the Swazi Fair Trade organization, and they make embroidered products for sale, including cards, small pouches, purses, etc. I have seen their items here in the reception area at Mabuda Farm and wanted to learn their craft. I am an avid sewer, knitter, and embroiderer in the U.S., but wanted to see their technique. Their products are beautiful and all hand-made.
I talked to Helen Pons about having a lesson with the person who started Sukumani, Dudu. Dudu readily agreed, and Helen suggested instead of a one-on-one lesson, rather we invite all the ladies to Mabuda Farm and we have an afternoon of sewing.

We set the date for Friday afternoon, after I was off work. I had no idea how many people might actually show up. After work, I ran to the grocery store and bought apples, cheese, chocolate, and biscuits. I went home and made up some plates and also prepared coffee and tea. Obviously I was hopeful and optimistic about the turnout.

We had a great turnout. I think 10 ladies showed up. We sat and sewed and talked and ate. They were so happy. At one point, they broke out into Swazi songs. Afterwards, Dudu translated and told me they "had such a great time and want to know when we can do this again!" They often do the work in their homes and are unable to have regular, organized meetings.

So, we are on again for this coming Friday :-)

Many of the ladies had to catch the bus home afterwards, and the bus stop is about a kilometer walk down a dusty road. It was cool and overcast, so I offered them a ride to the bus stop.  I had five Swazi women and one baby piled into my car!

They had so much fun and so did I!

Dudu sketching out a pattern for me to follow

Treats!

Dudu


Our youngest attendee. He was so cute!

These will later be pasted onto cardstock or put on a bag.


Karen, a Canadian visitor to Mabuda. She donated 5 quilts (made by her mother) for the ladies to finish the edges and then sell. They were elated and Karen was happy to join the sewing party.

Dudu discussing the projects with a few of the ladies

The next day I went shopping outside Manzini and was so happy to see the ladies' work being sold in a shop!

A card


 


A cute little purse

My partially finished work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment