Thursday, October 9, 2014

Busy, busy!

This week has been busy: Monday I was with TLC in the field, collecting data on the number of blinding cataracts in their patient population. Tuesday I did clinic in Manzini by myself (Dr. Pons was out of town), which went well. Wednesday was the usual clinic in Siteki and Thursday surgery.
 
Today I saw all of the post-ops, and they looked great. It is a foggy, rainy, dreary day here. It is apparently the rainy season, but it has been incredibly dry. So...I guess the rainy season finally caught up with us, and I am in for a lot more days like today.
 
A few photos from the week:
Mass on the iris in an HIV positive patient. The anterior chamber had 2+ cell and flare and there was posterior synechiae. There was no vitreous cell and the fundus was unremarkable. The mass appears to be a focal area of inflammation/granuloma. We are treating with steroids and a cycloplegic.

Young girl with a little cyst on her eye.

Patient with a corneal ulcer who is about to perforate. (See the incredibly narrow part of the slit beam centrally). These are difficult cases because we can't do corneal transplants and we don't have glue. I am treating her with AGGRESSIVE antibiotic therapy, but she will have a dense scar afterwards and her vision will be very poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment