Tuesday, October 28, 2014

South African-isms versus American-isms

Angela and I had great fun on the car ride back from Durban to Siteki (6 hours) talking about some of the major differences in our use of the English language. We normally understand one another perfectly, but there are some words they use that are very different from our language in the U.S.

We had a good start on the list, and then when we got home, Jono and Helen had fun adding in their two-cents worth!

Enjoy :)

Listed first is the South African/Swaziland English and next is the American English version.

lip ice = Chapstick
takkies (pronounced "tackys") = tennis shoes
bakkie (pronounced "bucky") = pickup truck
boot = trunk (of car)
bonnet = hood (of car)
serviettes = napkins
nappies = diapers
maths = math
robot = traffic light
avo = avocado
veg = vegetables
toilet = restroom or bathroom
mieles = sweet corn
theater = operating room
petrol = gas
road works = construction
biscuit = cookie
chips = French fries
zed = the letter "z" (so my name would be spelled "L-I-Zed"
handbag = purse
purse = money wallet for a woman
a kitchen tea = bridal shower
braai = BBQ
chicken mayo = chicken salad
a plaster = a Bandaid
bring and share = potluck
potluck = I don't know what we are having for dinner, just whatever is in the fridge
pudding = dessert
starter = appetizer
go on holiday = take a vacation
overtake = pass (in a car)
torch = flashlight
primary school = elementary school
zebra stripes = crosswalk
parking bay = parking spot
car park = parking garage
shongolo = millipede
granadilla = passion fruit
swimming costume = swimsuit
packet = a bag (when checking out at a store, "would you like a packet?"

Another thing I have found interesting is the Swazi's use of "yes" and "no".
For example, if I ask the question, "Sister, you didn't turn off the lights did you?" She would reply "yes", confirming that she did not turn off the lights. However, South Africans and Americans would say "no", as in, "No I didn't turn off the lights".

This may not seem all that confusing, but when in clinic, I would say, "The doctor didn't give you any medication, did he?" and the patient would respond "yes", (translation: yes, you are correct, the doctor didn't give me any medication), whereas I would say "no".

At any rate, it often made for confusion for both me and Dr. Pons. I felt like I was saying, "yes?", "no?", "yes?"... I had to learn to be careful how I asked questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment