Thursday, April 30, 2015

Wedding gift FAIL

My friend Rosie and her fiancée Tony (the couple that took me out for Tex Mex last week) have invited me to their wedding this Saturday, May 2. I am excited to go!

Traditionally, you give the couple money (this was the same in Japan). In Japan, you were not to give an "even" number of bills (money is given in cash only) because they can be equally divided, and that is bad luck for the couple as it signifies that they can be "slit up or divided (divorced)". Apparently in China, it is the opposite--you don't want to give an "odd" number of bills, because that is bad luck. It is difficult to keep up with/learn all these cultural rules!

Well, I certainly planned on following Chinese custom and giving Rosie and Tony cash as a gift. But Mandy (chief resident) told met that Rosie might be embarrassed and wouldn't want me to give them cash. She said, "maybe just some small gift". I had the perfect gift in mind!

I ran back to my hotel room this afternoon and wrote out a beautiful card (handmade from Africa) for the lovely couple. I then went to my closet and pulled out a bamboo cutting board in the shape of Oklahoma. They both love to cook. It couldn't be more perfect for them, right? I purchased two off of Amazon prior to leaving the States.

I immediately looked at the tag to make sure there wasn't a price on it...and what should I see but... "Made in China".  So sad. Wedding gift fail. (I, of course, will still gift it to them just as soon as I tear off the "Made in China" part of the tag...).

A perfect gift for the couple who likes to cook...
 

Upon further inspection...

No comments:

Post a Comment