Thursday, April 30, 2015

Policy on children in China

I ask many of my friends here about certain aspects of their culture. They know I am just intrigued and interested and not passing judgment. They actually really enjoy talking about certain aspects of their culture.

One such item is China's "one child" policy.

It used to be, that parents were only allowed to have one child (due to the huge population of 1.3 billion people). However, nowadays if both the mother and father are only children, then that particular couple may have two children. If you have over the number of allotted children, you are fined by the government and it is a sliding scale based on your income.

I think most of this is correct. I have verified amongst several friends, and they have all told me the same thing.

I wonder then, When Chinese people are dating, is it common to ask early on in the relationship, "So...how many siblings do you have?", with the entire purpose of the question being, "If we were to end up married, how many children could we have together?"

Many of my friends here (Cookie and Leo, for example) are only children married to only children. But interestingly, many of these friends still say that although they are eligible to have two children, they think one is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment