Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Duck blood

Cookie and Leo took me to dinner on Tuesday night. I had been feeling pretty sad since I learned that my grandfather had died. (Even though I knew it was coming, and sooner rather than later, it still took me by "surprise").


Me, Cookie, and Leo.

Cookie is so sweet and always thinking of others. We hopped on a cross town bus and then had delicious hot pot. They ordered mostly things I liked to eat (I told them I didn't care what they ordered, I would try it all, and pick around the things I didn't care for). Well, we got some free intestines (yay! It was some promotional gimmick), and Leo apparently LOVES duck blood, "It's his favorite!", said Cookie.

So, I present to you: congealed/coagulated duck blood.

Before cooking

After about ten minutes in the hot pot.

Recall, that Cookie and Leo are the couple that introduced me to the rabbit heads! And Leo, interestingly, is from Guanzhou (the third largest city in China, after Beijing and Shanghai--Chengdu is the fourth largest city in China). He likes to remind me (often) that in Guanzhou they eat: cat, dog, rat, snake, etc. I guess it ain't so bad here in Chengdu :)

Afterwards, they walked me back to the hotel ,and  we got some good exercise. It was a nice evening. Cookie and Leo accompanied me to the front desk of my hotel and helped do some translating regarding specific questions I had. (I am essentially completely unable to communicate with hotel staff).

Cookie also offered to let me use her washing machine! That is a huge blessing because there is not a Laundromat nearby. There is small place down the street that will do my laundry for me, but they speak no English. And I would just prefer to do it myself. Cookie and Leo live about a five minute walk from my hotel, so I will lug my clothes over to their place every once in awhile (I packed pretty lightly and I have been washing some things in the sink, so I am actually doing pretty well, considering I have almost been here a month!)

Cookie and Leo are so great! I am lucky to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment