Monday, September 29, 2014

Lobola Ceremony

On Friday, I asked one of my friends and co-workers, Setha, what she was doing this weekend. She told me she was going to spend the entire weekend at a lobola ceremony. This is a very traditional Swazi ceremony where a man's family gives a woman's family cows (or equivalent in money) prior to their marriage. Between 8-15 cows is a typical "lobloa" (or dowry).

Setha asked if I wanted to join her at the festivities. I thought she was joking, as I hadn't received a formal invite, but she was serious. I had plans on Saturday, so I told her I would meet up with her on Sunday.

We met today in Manzini and then I accompanied her and her husband to the bride's homestead. I had decided to wear traditional Swazi dress (I purchased it, I might as well wear it more than once!) and Setha wore Western attire :-)


Setha and me

Cooking the meat

Guests looking at the lobola (cows) that were given by the groom's family to the bride's family yesterday.

My friend Setha and her husband.

 
The kids attacking the mealie-meal (ground maize) and the meat broth. They were like little vultures!

The bride's family cooking.

Yesterday was the day when the cows were given to the bride's family. Two of them were then slaughtered and butchered for today's meal. When I arrived today, they were still in the process of butchering the meat. It was rainy and cold, so we sat around the fire where the meat was cooking. A goat was also slaughtered today (Setha and I went on a walk during this ordeal).

The men butchering the goat.

At one point, I was invited into the room with one of the uncles. They wanted me to join them in eating all the meat delicacies, which consisted of liver, spleen, kidney, etc. I was very polite, but didn't eat much. Unfortunately, in this same room was where a few men were butchering the remainder of the cow... It really didn't do much for my appetite...

The grilled meat (foreground) that we were to enjoy in the slaughterhouse... The portions of meat in the background will be sent home with different relatives, as an appreciation for their participation in this important weekend.

Setha was so wonderful! She explained everything to me. Both families were so gracious and kind to me. The kids kept staring at me, and the men kept asking to take a photo with me in my traditional Swazi maiden attire.

 
Setha serving up a traditional Swazi lunch.
 
After lunch was finished (traditional Swazi food: samp, beans, salad, meat, etc), the gallbladder of the recently slaughtered goat was used in a game between the bride and groom's families. It was placed in a cup and the children (some from bride's side, some from groom's) chased each other back and forth between the bride's hut and the groom's hut. The crowd was really into it!


 The gallbladder is located in a tan cup that is always in the hands of one of the runners.
 
It was really neat to experience some traditional Swazi culture. This was just the giving of the dowry--the wedding will be in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment