Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Lost Warthog of Darling

Shortly after purchase. Darling, South Africa.

Way back in September, when Angie was visiting me in Africa, she and I made a random stop in Darling, South Africa. We were attempting to catch a show that was listed in the guide book, but alas, it was no longer showing.

However, while there, I found the most perfect gift for me dear sister: a large metal warthog. My sister has loved warthogs (?!) for as long as I can remember. Slightly unusual for a girl from Iowa. The warthog was handcrafted out of an old metal oil-drum. I loved it, and thought it would look great in my sister and brother-in-law's house.

I paid about 180 Rand for it ($18). We realized the stop in Darling wasn't a waste after all. Later in the week, as we were packing to return to Swaziland, Angie and I realized that this piece of art was going to be difficult to transport back to Swaziland and then on to the USA. Luckily, our wonderful Bed & Breakfast (The Bay Atlantic in Camps Bay) offered to mail it back to America for me. It was posted on Sept. 12, 2014.

As my stay in Swaziland continued, I would periodically email my brother in law, asking if a package from South Africa had arrived yet. The answer, was always "No". Sure enough, when I landed back in the U.S. on November 1, there was still no sign of the warthog.

Days passed. Weeks passed. Months passed. Angie and I were certain the Lost Warthog of Darling was never to be seen again. We knew there had been a mail strike in South Africa for two months from early September through the end of October, but it was now the tail end of December, and there was still no sign of the package.

Fast forward to New Year's Eve Day 2014. My sister was visiting Oklahoma City from Iowa.  Amy said she needed to go to run a few errands, including to the local post office. She said she needed to pick something up. Neither of us thought anything of it. As she and I were literally on our way out the door to go the post office for said errand, I  finally divulged to her that I had purchased her a metal warthog as her Christmas gift, but it likely was never going to arrive. I showed her a photo Angie and I had taken shortly after its purchase, and that was that.

Amy and I went to the post office and she ran in. I stayed with the car, listening to the news. Next thing I know, Amy returns to the car with a huge smile on her face and says, "You are NEVER going to believe it, but look what arrived!"  I was dumbfounded. Literally. The package had been mailed nearly 4 months earlier.

Amy and the package from South Africa!

A little beat up :)


The packaging was pretty beat up, but the now Unlost Warthog of Darling was just fine :)


No comments:

Post a Comment