Saturday, November 1, 2014

Back in the USA!

I am sitting in the Atlanta airport right now, after a 16 hour and 10 minute flight from Johannesburg "Joberg". I went into clinic yesterday (Friday) morning and said my goodbyes to the clinic staff. It was sad! I was so tired (and I definitely look it in the photos!)

Sister Senani, me, and Jono outside the entrance to the eye clinic (where I spent MANY hours!)

I also added my name to "the wall" in the clinic. Jono has, for the last several years, invited long-ish term volunteers, medical students, etc to write their names on the wall.

I had been given two Swazi names: Siphiwe (meaning "we have been given"), but Sister Senani though that Nonhlanhla (meaning "mother of luck") was more appropriate. I had to ask the clinic staff how to spell it, and clearly we didn't get it right...ooops!

The wall of names.



Angela took me to the new airport: King Mswati III International Airport (apparently it was originally named "Sikhuphe International Airport", but then was renamed to honor the current King). They don't have all their kinks worked out, so it took awhile to get on the plane. It is very nice and new, but VERY empty :-/ Angela commented that we headed in under the 'International Departures' sign, but as all flights are leaving Swaziland, there are no domestic flights!


My last drive down the Mabuda driveway (you can tell I was getting sad/sentimental). The purple on the ground are the blossoms from the beautiful Jacaranda trees, which are very common in Africa and have been in bloom for the last month.

Leaving Mabuda farm for the airport.

Helen (Mrs. Pons) and me

The new airport in Swaziland.

Ebola fever! Sign at the airport.
 
Leaving Swaziland!

I flew to Joberg without problem and then it was on to Atlanta. Of course, getting back into the States is always a little frustrating. A lot more security issues on the plane, in the airport, etc.

Passengers filling out Ebola questionnaires in South Africa. The people in yellow vests are the health monitors. They are trying desperately to keep Ebola out of South Africa.




I am exhausted and conveniently on call today. However, I will say I am blown away by the stellar senior residents at Dean McGee (dedicated, intelligent, good clinical and surgical skills), so I don't anticipate many issues. I should be "home" in Oklahoma City in just a few short hours.

I think I might write one more entry about my overall experience, but it will take sometime to truly process my time in Africa.

Suffice to say, for now, that I had an amazing time, am thankful for the opportunity, and absolutely love Swaziland and the gentle, kind, wonderful, honest, hard-working, caring Swazis.

At our last Bible study on Wednesday night, Jono asked me to give a little speech and to recount my most memorable experiences, which did include getting pulled over by the cops a total of 8 times in three months...(thanks for tattling Ang!). I told him and Helen that I have lived abroad in three different countries (Spain and Japan each for a year and Honduras for two months), and that I have never been so not ready to leave a country, and I thought that spoke volumes about Jono, Helen, Mabuda Farm, the hospital, my coworkers, and most importantly, the Swazis. Swaziland holds a very special place in my heart, and I cannot wait to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment